Sunday, May 29, 2005

OPERATION TULE

I had the chance to witness a minor surgery even if I’m just starting out with nursing. The reason? I was invited by my friend who is a med student at PLM to “assist” in circumcising kids at barangay San Andres.

As we were walking towards the site together with two doctors, some of the kids who were in line, bantered that they would like to be circumcised by me?! It was funny. I was mistaken to be one of the “operating doctors”. ^___^

Even the setting of the operation added color to the operation. The “operating room” was situated between two streets. The “walls” were blankets tied to poles, which give trifle privacy to kids who were circumcised. Inside were just tables, set side by side and on it were the boys lying and being operated with doctors and student doctors. Imagine my shock when I first entered. I was greeted a sight of a lil boy’s member smeared with blood and with tools hanging on it. I really forced myself to go on, observe the process and really pushed the embarrassment of seeing different kinds of penis. And to remember that day, I was allowed to take a picture of the operation.


I don’t know if circumcision will be part of my job description in the near future, but that experience helped me to gain knowledge in operating processes and the culture that go with it.
----------------------------
As I went home around 2pm my cousin Geri asked me to help her in “cooking” the recipe written in K-zone.

No comments: