Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bookworm just a bit

A friend of mine wants to borrow any book from my collection. I haven’t paid any attention to what I got over the years, so it was a good chance to “visit my old friends again. I don’t have lots of books but it consists mostly of fantasy and science fiction, I wonder why.

I got interested with books during my grade school years, the time when my Dad would prefer to keep us inside the house than to play taguan pung, patintero, shake shake, Pepsi 7up, or Langit lupa with other kids. He would bring me hardbound books, from The Elves and the Shoemaker, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I found that reading books could actually pass the time and keep me company. Then I shifted to Sweet Valley Kids, Twins, and High.

Nanay (my grandmother) saw what kind of books I was reading when she tried reading it, and since it has some kissing scene, I guess that what urged her to introduce Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew to my interests. I did in fact like it. We usually hang around Goodwill bookstore in Carriedo to buy bargain Hardy boys and Nancy Drew which only costs around 5-20 pesos. Cool, isn’t it?

That phase continued until high school years. Then when I got in College, I read other genres from the influence of my one of my best friends, April. Because of her I had a crush with Harry Potter even before it got popular. I got interested with animes, Jrock, and most especially Neil Gaiman. I fancy award winning novels and graphic designs.

Aside from her, the one who influenced me into reading what I have now in my collection is none other than my boyfriend. Our relationship even started from a book, one of Sidney Sheldon’s. From then on, I got curious with him and his interests---books. I then started reading Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth series and now I’m finishing David Edding’s.

My old book collection is now in my cousin Geri’s possession. What’s left are the Scifi and Fantasy books and graphic novels. Hopefully I could acquire more diverse books. I realized that any interests could really start from somewhere or with someone. I’m glad that mine started at home, and hopefully I could pass it on to my future kids *daydreaming*.

No comments: