Thursday, October 20, 2005

My lolo

I ain’t no drama queen, but I think I look like one especially when I talked to lolo while he’s in the ICU. I was trying to be strong for the sake of him, but my eyes can’t control the tears welling up my eyes. I told him to fight. I told him to be strong because we want him to be around for our grand reunion on December wherein his children, my aunts and uncles, who now lived on different parts of the globe, would be here to celebrate Christmas with us. I can see his face contort with agony and his closed eyes welling up with tears as well.

My 82-year-old lolo had his first stroke last Thursday as he was trying to lift the can of paint and doing things he shouldn’t do due to his condition. At his age, he shouldn’t be exhausting himself lest he’ll be ill. He was trying to repaint the house in Cainta and even with helpers around he still does things himself.

He got admitted to Medical City in Ortigas and I’ve been staying with him since Sunday. He was recovering but due to nosochomial infection he acquired while he was confined in the ACSU (Acute Stroke Unit) his condition aggravated.

The phlegm in his lungs due to emphysema thickened and he is having hard time breathing. He would cough hard but cannot expectorate the phlegm. His erythema face contorted with pain and the determination to fight. The doctor put an intubation wherein a tube was inserted down his throat using tools you wouldn’t wanna be inserted with. My lolo gagged at it and is still gagging even when he was starting to get sedated. It caused trauma not only to him but for us as well who saw it all. The doctor said that if his body wouldn’t respond well to the medicine they couldn’t do anything more.

Please pray for my lolo (Matias Guimba). Please pray that God would continue to watch over him and embrace him with His loving touch. We cannot do anything more but pray. We lift it all up to Him, the Almighty One, who knows what would be best for His child.

No comments: