Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Karate as a way of life

I woke up this morning, feeling stiff all over my body. I had Karate training last night with Sir David as the sensei (teacher) along with 3 other black belters and several other colored belters. As expected, the training needs particular attention to our Kata (form) and power in delivering each technique. It’s not my favorite part of Karate, but it’s the basic and is the foundation of the Sport and Art I’ve come to love.

I’m still in Purple 5 for more than a year and still not ready for the Purple 4 examination. A great deal of training and practice would be needed for me to come into top condition once again; hip rotation for every kata move, lower and longer stances, power for every execution, and mastery of each kata.

It was embarrassing for it was the second time Sir David sort-of reprimanded me for my kata. It’s either I forgot the sequence of each Heyan we are performing or my stances are short. It was really hard perfecting each stance, be it forward stance, straddle stance, and back stance being the hardest. My knees would sometime shake uncontrollably in the mid of a kata and almost lost my balance.

Probably seeing not only my difficulty but in others as well, he told us that Karate is not just a Sport where you could defeat an opponent, bag trophies and medals, and promotion of ranks, but rather a Personal Journey which differs for every individual.

Being the personal journey, every challenge differs for each person. Every person tackles each with different level of effort and goal in mind. For me, it is my inner struggle to discipline and defeat myself. To impose something that would push my vices into sideline and pave way for a clearer goal of improving myself.

Incorporating Karate in my life is hard but with discipline and in focusing with my goal, it would soon be realized. Even if that would mean starting to eradicate my vices like eating chocolates every time I see one in the fridge, spending too much time surfing the net, watching TV, and going out every chance I have. And instead wake up early in the morning, practice kata, and not missing any of my Karate trainings. Of course, aside from studying my lessons in school. ^___^

So you see, Karate is not just a sport and art, but more of a way of life. It should be hard, but I would benefit from it if I just do it correctly this time.

Here’s our 5 “mantras” (I don’t know how it is called) recited at the end of session:
*saying of Tots is necessary to indicate that each was important, and there’s no hierarchy with each mantra.

1.Tots. Seek perfection of character.
2.Tots. Be faithful.
3.Tots. Endeavor.
4.Tots. Respect Others
5.Tots. Refrain from violent behavior.

No comments: