Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Simple life

Ham said he’s a simple guy and likes a simple life. In my friendster, I describe myself as simple. Both of us are simple, and want a simple life. How simple can a simple be?

We have different perceptions in seeing things, ayt? And a simple thing for this man is grandiose for another. I have attended one seminar, wherein we were asked what kind of house we wanted to have in the future. A bunch of people were asked to answer it. Most of the answers are: Just a simple house will do. They would then be asked to describe the house they wanted, the size, the style, the furniture inside, and the gadgets that come with it. I too was building the house in my head that I wanted to have someday. But then I realized that that simple house I wanted might still cause me a fortune and that simple house that bunch of people wanted really costs a lot. So much for simplicity

While we were chatting last night, I asked Ham what kind of pulutan he wanted since I was eating chicharon. He said: I’m simple di ba? I enjoy simple pleasures. I then asked him what kind of pleasures he is talking about. According to him the simple pleasures he’s talking about and stressed “without spending ba?” are: eat, sleep, day dream, exploring, looking at the sky, window shopping, driving, chatting, reading, __________( in planning stage).

Paris Hilton and Nichole of Simple Life is all about these two famous and rich girls trying out a life without their Dad’s money, cell phones, and other luxuries they are used to have and trying out a modest life for a change.

What could then be the word simple mean? According to my trusted dictionary, simple means 1. of a basic kind; not complicated or complex. 2. readily understood or dealt with, as a problem. 3. without superfluities or affectations. 4. in modest circumstance. 5. pure.

(Pure, I like that. My name Kathleen means pure, ehem ehem...)

Simple for a different person may not be simple at all. Different perceptions, for different people. A simple life my Ham wanted might be complicated for me, or the simple life for me isn’t simple for him. My simple Ham may not be simple at all, and the Kae you know may be as complex as she can be. But at least, both of us take delight in simple things that does not need spending.

No comments: